Places to stay near Calumet River/Lake Michigan

Fishing couple days in the river and on Lake Michigan wind permitting. We are launching at ramp somewhere close to the lake. Is there a decent hotel with power to stay within half hour of there? I figure NW Indiana or go farther south in IL I know we'll need to drive a bit to get out of that area. Thanks!

2. Member
    I would look at the hotels along I-80 in Orland Park and Tinley Park. If you are launching in the river it is probably at the ramp in alsip, if thats the case you are already in a pretty decent area. If you are launching at waterfront pub near the lock, go down to Tinley or Orland Park.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    I would look at the hotels along I-80 in Orland Park and Tinley Park. If you are launching in the river it is probably at the ramp in alsip, if thats the case you are already in a pretty decent area. If you are launching at waterfront pub near the lock, go down to Tinley or Orland Park.
    I was thinking we may have to come back to that area. Just have to call around to find one with power outlets outside.

I would also suggest the hotels in Tinley Park off of Harlem and I80. Alsip has a good boat launch but the fishing around Alsip is pretty poor. You are better off launching your boat at Water Front Pub and locking through to the river. The other option is launching your boat at 95th street which will have you on the Illinois side of Lake Michigan and about 1 mile from the mouth of the river. You would avoid the locks if you launch at 95th street. 95th Street can be a little on the sketchy side, I would not leave anything valuable in your vehicle while you are out fishing. I personally have never had issues with vandalism at 95th street boat launch.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Bob View Post
    I would also suggest the hotels in Tinley Park off of Harlem and I80. Alsip has a good boat launch but the fishing around Alsip is pretty poor. You are better off launching your boat at Water Front Pub and locking through to the river. The other option is launching your boat at 95th street which will have you on the Illinois side of Lake Michigan and about 1 mile from the mouth of the river. You would avoid the locks if you launch at 95th street. 95th Street can be a little on the sketchy side, I would not leave anything valuable in your vehicle while you are out fishing. I personally have never had issues with vandalism at 95th street boat launch.
    I think 95th is where we are launching. Just trying to find place to stay couple days. Don’t mind the drive to get better area.

6. Member
    Is it a tournament with a set launch or coming up for fun? Let us know where you’re launching and we can help get you to a good spot.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    Is it a tournament with a set launch or coming up for fun? Let us know where you’re launching and we can help get you to a good spot.
    Nothing specific. Just something in that general area.

8. Member
    If the weather is good I’d stay at Tinley like gambler bob said, drive to East Chicago marina and launch there. If the big lake is rolling I’d launch at waterfront pub in Burnham and go through the lock. Lake cal can save your day if the big lake is sporty.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX