Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor upgrade?

I posted this in the trolling motor section but decided that I might get more responses here.

My new “used” Ranger Z185 came with the MinnKota Edge 70x24V. I’ve found a couple of really nice “used” MinnKota Fortrex 80x24V units priced in the $400~$500 range. Both of them came on new boat purchased and were removed after 4 to 6 months of use to upgrade to units with Spot Lock.

Is it worth upgrading from an Edge to a Fortrex?

What’s a fair price for a Fortrex in excellent condition?

What’s my Edge worth? It’s in “like new” condition?

2. Member
    Fortrex is a great choice but I would wait to get an ultrex. Money well spent

3. Member
    Id just use the edge, since its free. Fortrex is just a beefier edge. If youre upgrading its going to be for spotlock

4. Member
    Trade it. Edge us 5 speed and does not have a breakaway/ spring mount. A maxxum is acceptable but an edge is not.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    Fortrex is what you should go with.

6. Member
    If you can,t swing the $3,000 pus for an 80 Ultrex, then the 80 fortrex for $500 is an excellent choice and will do well for until you can upgrade to a spot lock motor. Get rid of the edge.

7. Member
    You live and fish in West Texas!!!
    Sell all of your extra junk and hock the youngest child and get the cash to buy a spot lock trolling motor. I would give up most of my tackle and my ex-wife to keep my Ultrex. Greatest add to any boat in my 60 years of bass fishing.

8. Member
    If it isn't a spot lock I wouldn't even consider it. Spot lock is without a doubt the best upgrade I've added to my boat.

yup, wait for the time when you can afford an ultrex.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

10. Member
    The fortrex 24v on my prior boat was very solid performer. Can't say a bad word about it and it moved my 18ft phoenix very well even in high wind. that said, the spotlock TM on my recent boat is far more beneficial then I had ever thought. I wish I had done it on the prior boat but I just could not internalize how helpful

I don't navigate routes or do anything fancy with the spotlock. Just use it when I want to fish a spot for a while or take a break and not have the boat blown all over the place. most days in south florida, we have 10mph+ winds
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    The fortrex 24v on my prior boat was very solid performer. Can't say a bad word about it and it moved my 18ft phoenix very well even in high wind. that said, the spotlock TM on my recent boat is far more beneficial then I had ever thought. I wish I had done it on the prior boat but I just could not internalize how helpful

I don't navigate routes or do anything fancy with the spotlock. Just use it when I want to fish a spot for a while or take a break and not have the boat blown all over the place. most days in south florida, we have 10mph+ winds
    I’ve owned the Terrova and used it exactly as you’ve described. A calm day here in West Texas is anything under 15 mph.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
    I’ve owned the Terrova and used it exactly as you’ve described. A calm day here in West Texas is anything under 15 mph.
    love it, I'm a golfer. at 10mph it is windy but you don't hear anything. at 15mph+ you hear howling in your ears. yes, the spotlock and a low profile boat in that wind is a huge help.

almost all of the epic fishing days in my life were in 12mph+ wind days. the fish use that wind
    2024 Phoenix 818

13. Member
    I must agree with the rest here - save up and get a motor with spotlock.

14. DINK CATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    If it isn't a spot lock I wouldn't even consider it. Spot lock is without a doubt the best upgrade I've added to my boat.
    I'd give up forward facing sonar before I gave up Spotlock!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member
    I have all the options on my current boat.....but if I had to keep just one between spot lock, power poles, livescope, etc....it would definitely be spot lock. I'll never own a boat without it.

I have a ghost, and spot lock is great. I've fished a bunch from a boat with a older trolling motor this year (was waiting for repairs on mine) and spot lock is the thing I missed the most. Sure is nice to hit anchor to tie on a bait, or to sit on a foundation when it is windy instead of having to motor out to open water or try to keep a foot on the trolling motor the whole time.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I have a ghost, and spot lock is great. I've fished a bunch from a boat with a older trolling motor this year (was waiting for repairs on mine) and spot lock is the thing I missed the most. Sure is nice to hit anchor to tie on a bait, or to sit on a foundation when it is windy instead of having to motor out to open water or try to keep a foot on the trolling motor the whole time.

yesterday i was crankbait fishing and have gotten to the point where I can get my ghost to help me stay still while I retrieve a lure.
    2024 Phoenix 818

18. Member
    Get the Foretrex, more thrust than the Edge, better mount and just a better product than the Edge.

If you’ve never had spotlock, you really don’t know that once you fish with it you cannot do without it. I don’t know of any equipment on a boat that I can’t live without with exception of spotlock. That’s how good it is…..
    My last boat that I bought had power poles, and on my way home, I stopped by my local Classic Fiberglass and sold ‘em to the owner. I’ve never had FFS on a boat, but I’m boatless for now. I’ve seen them work, though, and I know I could do without them if I had to. But not spotlock. Save your dollars until you can afford an ultrex or another brand that has spotlock feature. You’ll love it!
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

20. Member
    While all of the high dollar trolling motors can set routes and even follow a route created with a compatible fish finder, one thing that I'm loving using an Ultrex linked to my Humminbirds is being able to point to a contour and let it follow the contour. There is nothing simpler than letting the trolling motor circle around certain contours in a particularly large area of water over and over on its own while pulling crank baits and having nothing more relaxing than to watching watch the fish finders to make adjustments and the kids watch the the poles.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)
    2x Humminbird 1199 with Humminbird 360 and Side Imagng
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv with LVS32
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 45" DCS Advanced GPS
    Millennium Spyderlok Crappie Rod holders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast