Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer winch strap getting loose

I have a Fulton F2 winch on my trailer, but notice when towing it always gets a tiny bit loose and bow will start to bounce. I'll get out and it will tighten two to three clicks on the winch ratchet. I'm wondering if something like a Boat Buckle ratchet strap would solve the problem, or maybe even going with some thing like a Ramp and Clamp to lock it down.
    Last edited by jerzia; 08-14-2024 at 04:54 PM.

2. Member
    maybe a new strap on the winch? always have a second back up strap or chain on it also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Strap is a year old and have a safety chain for sure.

Something is wrong, it should not be loosening up like that.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Something is wrong, it should not be loosening up like that.
    I know, no idea why it's happening.

How much do you unwind when launching or loading?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Eventually it should tighten up the slack or break off, which I doubt. If you take a lot of strap off to winch in the boat, then it could be loose slack that's slacking on ya!

8. Member
    Usually take off about 2-3 feet for winching. Could that be doing it?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Usually take off about 2-3 feet for winching. Could that be doing it?
    maybe pull strap all the way out and rewind in under some tension? make sure it lays flat with no folds or loose spots?? is the strap fastened to the hub so it cannot slip there?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

Do you check it on flat ground before leaving the ramp ?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    maybe pull strap all the way out and rewind in under some tension? make sure it lays flat with no folds or loose spots?? is the strap fastened to the hub so it cannot slip there?
    It's definitely flat and attached to the hub.

12. Member
    Perhaps the boat is settling on the bunks OR you aren't cranking down on the winch hard enough. Don't wanna sound stupid but you do have the strap Under the roller eh? Also you should have another winch strap on the front pulling the eye down and still another safety chain with that rig.

13. Member
    Sometimes I don’t quite get it tight. It will bounce a little bit I have Steep downhill on way home. Slam the brakes while trailer bunks are wet. Then retighten strap.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Do you check it on flat ground before leaving the ramp ?
    Every single time, in fact since I've noticed it, I check a second time after wiping down

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Perhaps the boat is settling on the bunks OR you aren't cranking down on the winch hard enough. Don't wanna sound stupid but you do have the strap Under the roller eh? Also you should have another winch strap on the front pulling the eye down and still another safety chain with that rig.
    Yeah it's on correctly. That was why I was thinking of adding a Boat Buckle ratchet, to keep it pulled down. And settling on the bunks could be a possibility. The boat NEVER loads even on both sides. It's not a lot, but one side is always tighter to the side bunch than the other. Funny thing is it's not always the same side. Before you go there, I've been doing this for decades and know how to load a boat. I've tried all different depths, and it make no difference at all.
    When Ken Smith was doing his boat search videos, one of his issues with my model boat was he couldn't get it straight on the trailer. (Charger 210)

16. Member
    Chargers is an awesome boat, but like lots of other boat companies they’re buying trailers that aren’t always up to the task. Look at Phoenix and their trailer issues. Might be the same manufacturer??
    MAGA

17. Member
    Adding a boat buckle to pull bow eye downward is always a good idea.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

18. Member
    I know you said it was tight at the hub. If you rolled all of the strap out to check I will be good with that. If you didn't......then do and check!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I know you said it was tight at the hub. If you rolled all of the strap out to check I will be good with that. If you didn't......then do and check!
    I actually did that the second time it happened.

I bet that the boat is moving forward a little more on the ride home. Winch stand height may not let winch pull 100% forward.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast