used 2019 Vexus avx 1980 any issues to be aware of?

Hello all,

From what ive read, these boats should be as close to a glass boat as you can get as far as ride. I like the idea of having an aluminum boat as I plan to keep it as close to forever as possible..... Whats your experience with them? I'd be using it at lake mead / Mojave / Havasu... Should I be looking for a glass boat if I plan on Lake mead? Seems its almost always rough water.

Also, any issues with these boats I should be aware of / check if I go look at one of these? I almost learned the hard way to research the hell out of a boat before pulling the trigger, so im extremely cautious about buying used now. (Don't mind the photo below of the one with an evinrude. I decided against it, and would rather look at one with the mercury.)
    vx.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkWahlbang; 08-29-2024 at 12:35 AM. Reason: decided against an evinrude, but still want to ask about known issues.

I would stay clear of a 2019 with a Rude.
    Buddy had one. Both consoles cracked along with the hull.
    The Evinrude is not much better and no longer in business. Find a 2023 or newer with a Mercury or Yamaha.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I would stay clear of a 2019 with a Rude.
    Buddy had one. Both consoles cracked along with the hull.
    The Evinrude is not much better and no longer in business. Find a 2023 or newer with a Mercury or Yamaha.
    evinrude still in business and the g2 ho was a great engine also but would still avoid the "RUDE'!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 08-29-2024 at 07:09 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I have an Evinrude on a 2020 1880. It works great, but it han't broke yet, soooo. The "rides like a glass" comment always make me cringe. It handles 100% like a glass boat. It rides good in a chop even a heavy one. But big swells, where you are going to coming crashing down hits pretty hard. It rides as good as some glass boats of equal size. You can't compare a 1980 to a 521 Ranger, so be realistic. I also tend to think glass boats are more foregiving when misplaying a wave. The extra weight and sharper point on the V helps. I have gotten pretty good at knowing where to trim and such. So I say my boat rides better now than the first 2 years I had it. But it's really learning how to drive it.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

"Should I be looking for a glass boat if I plan on Lake mead? Seems its almost always rough water."

Yes, I would try to find a fiberglass bass boat considering where you fish. I currently own a Vexus tin boat and love it, but I fish the local river these days. I used to fish Rayburn, Toledo, and other big lakes when I was younger and ran glass boats for comfort and safety.

6. Member
    Much appreciated everyone, i think I will keep looking. people getting hull cracks on the 2019/2020s worries me also, being a used boat so no warranty. These vexus boats do look REALLY nice though.

on a side note i need to rant. Seems in the vegas area, everyone wants way too much for their used boats, so im getting frustrated. Looks like ill have to make road trips to look at boats. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    evinrude still in business and the g2 ho was a great engine also but would still avoid the "RUDE'!!
    Evinrude is no longer in business as of May 2020. They still prove parts to maintain warranty issues. Two of my buddy’s bought Rangers with rudes. One sold his quickly for what the boat was worth minus the motor. The other has had just about everything break on his. New lower end a few months ago.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s with Blue tooth for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger, Minn Kota Quest TM.

8. Member
    I would pass on one with an Evinrude.