BUDDY of mine just bought a Bullet Few Questions Please

Its a 2009 21 XRD that looks brand new. He put his new 250 Merc Four Stroke on it and is in the process of installing new electronics and trolling motor and he has new Ionic lithium batteries. The boat had a 250 Opti with a flashed ecm unit and running a 27 Fury four. My question is what prop for fishing is everyone running and what is your pad measurement. Again, he's still in the process of getting it all put together so any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Different animal, but I have a 300XS on a 21 RDC with a sporty, most of the time, I run a 25 Bravo XS for fishing, not a FAST prop, but fast enough and great hole shot

3. Member
    28 bravo that has been worked by Mark Croxton with all the holes plugged. About 1 1/2 below pad.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Several around East TN are running the big 29.5 Bravo on the XRD/4 stroke fishing rigs
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    Several around East TN are running the big 29.5 Bravo on the XRD/4 stroke fishing rigs
    Is this on a sporty gear case??

6. Member
    Depends on what case and gear ratio. TM, couple inches below pad, just check water pressure. If one of the new generation sporty they like to run high. TM, and 1.75 gears probably a 28 Bravo. If running a sporty come back with that info and I will give you some more numbers.

7. Member
    I'm looking back at my notes for my 21XRS, bought in 2020. 250 Pro XS 4S, torquemaster:

Came at 1/2" below pad from factory.
    10/18/20: I lowered it one click, and it was at .75" below pad.
    1/24/21: Raised engine back up 1-click, measured at 5/8" below pad.
    2/16/21: Raised engine 1-click again, measured at 7/16" below pad.
    3/15/23: lowered engine 1-click, measured at .594" (I know, I'm carrying 3 decimal places on my manual measurement. I like to think I'm that good) and back at original setting.
    That's where she's been and will stay.
    28 Bravo 1 XS all 8 holes plugged.

Also - top intake hole on each side of gearcase is plugged. I could probably plug the top 2, and have been considering that.
    Bullet.jpg
    Last edited by djb750; 07-09-2024 at 06:13 PM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

8. Member
    I had the same rig, minus lithiums. Like most have said, 28 Bravos XS all holes plugged works well. I never liked the fishing hole shot of small barrel props like a promax. On my XRS/250 4 stroke I run a 27 RazorXL with some of the barrel trimmed. Great hole shot, within 1.5mph of the Bravo and $300 less. I will add, when I changed to Ionics on my XRS, had to lower the motor to 2” below from 3/4” below.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    I had the same rig, minus lithiums. Like most have said, 28 Bravos XS all holes plugged works well. I never liked the fishing hole shot of small barrel props like a promax. On my XRS/250 4 stroke I run a 27 RazorXL with some of the barrel trimmed. Great hole shot, within 1.5mph of the Bravo and $300 less. I will add, when I changed to Ionics on my XRS, had to lower the motor to 2” below from 3/4” below.
    Were you able to get all your speed back after this change? Everything good?
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Were you able to get all your speed back after this change? Everything good?
    Well, it was no speed demon before lithiums, but yes, it is about like it was. 75.5 loaded with 2, full fuel. I’m certain a Bravo or Promax would add a few mph to that.

11. Banned
    On my 08 21XRD, my best prop was a 26p trophy with 250 Pro XS 2s with Gen 1 TM case. I am the artist formerly known as KHNC. Some DB banned me permanently because i didnt update my prop for sale ad properly when it sold this week.

12. Member
    I have a 21XD, 250 Pro XS Optimax, TM2 lower unit with a 28 pitch Bravo XS per Mr Nichols 1” to 1.5 below pad. I am set at 1.5 below and have never tweaked it. It come out of the hole like a top fuel dragster. The prop has 2 holes with 3/8 holes 2 solid and 4 open. It runs in the upper 70’s and I am loaded with 14 rods along with Bass Pro Shops cranks and plastics. I tried a Fury 4 and my boat did not like it. I have a 27XL from Mark that runs great also, it’s probably a little more stable than the Brovo but slower on hole shot.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazerNC View Post
    On my 08 21XRD, my best prop was a 26p trophy with 250 Pro XS 2s with Gen 1 TM case. I am the artist formerly known as KHNC. Some DB banned me permanently because i didnt update my prop for sale ad properly when it sold this week.
    Umm, Kenny: If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

14. Banned
    Umm, Kenny: If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Ha!! Isnt that the truth!! LOL. Crazy thing was , it wasnt "that guy" that did it. It was the dude that manages the classifieds section. Sent me a PM complaining and next thing i knew i was banned. Thin skin dude i guess. :)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Depends on what case and gear ratio. TM, couple inches below pad, just check water pressure. If one of the new generation sporty they like to run high. TM, and 1.75 gears probably a 28 Bravo. If running a sporty come back with that info and I will give you some more numbers.

I agree. I have a 250R on my 21SDC. For fishing and carrying a load I'm running a lab finish Hydromotive 28p (all holes plugged). I had good luck with a 29 Bravo lab, but the prop wasn't for sell. I have a 31p MAX5 that I run when light and for fun. The v8's like the engine pretty high. I'm running a Sporty with 1:75 2-2-1/2" above pad (hydro jack plate).

I hate to say it, but most folks have had to invest in a hydraulic jackplate to get the v8's to come out of the hole and still run out on top end. Something about them the old tricks we used to do, the v8's don't respond well. Completely different way of thinking is required.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

You're a funny dude.

I'm looking back at my notes for my 21XRS, bought in 2020. 250 Pro XS 4S, torquemaster:

Came at 1/2" below pad from factory.
    10/18/20: I lowered it one click, and it was at .75" below pad.
    1/24/21: Raised engine back up 1-click, measured at 5/8" below pad.
    2/16/21: Raised engine 1-click again, measured at 7/16" below pad.
    3/15/23: lowered engine 1-click, measured at .594" (I know, I'm carrying 3 decimal places on my manual measurement. I like to think I'm that good) and back at original setting.
    That's where she's been and will stay.
    28 Bravo 1 XS all 8 holes plugged.

Also - top intake hole on each side of gearcase is plugged. I could probably plug the top 2, and have been considering that.
    Bullet.jpg
    Just a heads-up: Mercury doesn't authorize plugging the side water inlets. Are you losing water pressure?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Just a heads-up: Mercury doesn't authorize plugging the side water inlets. Are you losing water pressure?
    Bullet/Mercury guys have been doing this for many, many years w/o any trouble. Getting plenty of water and not sucking air at raised motor heights.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It was approved for the Gen-1 TM gearcase on 2-stroke product, but not other cases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerNC View Post

Ha!! Isnt that the truth!! LOL. Crazy thing was , it wasnt "that guy" that did it. It was the dude that manages the classifieds section. Sent me a PM complaining and next thing i knew i was banned. Thin skin dude i guess. :)
    For the record Kenny, Moderators can't ban anyone; I'm the only one that can and I'm the one that banned you.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Bullet/Mercury guys have been doing this for many, many years w/o any trouble. Getting plenty of water and not sucking air at raised motor heights.
    I have a TM case on a 300R and it came from the factory with only 3 holes on each side. Later TM cases had 5 holes on each side. I think Mercury made the change due to some overheating concerns. Perhaps my logic is off, but a 5 hole intake with the top hole plugged should still offer more water pressue than a 3 hole??? Of course the most important fact is how high you run it, and I don't have a pad boat and usually run mine 3" - 3.5" below at WOT, and much lower for cruising so I doubt mine would be prone to low water pressure.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax