Thread: Ionic 16v

Ionic 16v

Has anyone tried the Ionic 16v Lifepo4 battery that is specifically designed for electronics? Opinions?
    ジェラルドの天候

SWMBO ProStaff

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There are posts claiming better imaging by using a 16V battery for fishing electronics, but in my opinion, this isn't the case. I've challenged many to show proof, but have yet to see anything conclusive. At best, a 16V Lithium battery can make up for bad wiring & connections where you weren't getting good imaging because of low voltags on a 12V battery. In those cases, you are better off putting your money into getting your wiring & connections improved.

On the other hand, a 16V battery won't hurt anything in the Humminbird world because they support up to 20V. I assume Garmin and Lowrance are the same.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Sly, I’m thinking of going lithium for my electronics, not necessarily to 16v, and I think you are right about the hype. It’s more the wiring , connections and other factors than the extra voltage. I like the form of the Ionic and I have an easy mounting place in my boat. I have the same Vexus as our friend, Bob the striper king.
    ジェラルドの天候

SWMBO ProStaff

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    we sell them but do not recommend them for Lowrance
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    Sly, I’m thinking of going lithium for my electronics, not necessarily to 16v, and I think you are right about the hype. It’s more the wiring , connections and other factors than the extra voltage. I like the form of the Ionic and I have an easy mounting place in my boat. I have the same Vexus as our friend, Bob the striper king.
    Any 12v Lithium will net the best sonar performance.

We do offer 15% discounts and batteries have a full 10 year. non prorated warranty

make sure to check us out

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    I use all Impulse Lithium myself, and have been extremely happy. They have the best warranty... a 10 year full replacement... no prorating. When I checked the fine print on the major brands before my purchase, there were others with 10 year warranties, but they were prorated after a certain point. Also, one other had a longer warranty, but after a certain time-frame, they only gave you a discount on a new replacemenprorated. Just be sure to read the warranty fine print before your purchase.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    With the tightly regulated power supplies, anything more than 12.6 volts is a waste of money. The excess voltage is simply filtered out of the supply line inside the electronics.

Don't fall for the hype, nothing in your boat needs a 16 volt battery, One good Cranking battery 950 cca and 190 minutes of reserve is all that is needed, no benefit to a house battery either if the electronics wiring is updated and installed correctly. There are several reasons to not use a 16 volt battery.
    If you need more do a hybrid system Lithium and a AGM connected in parallel. Benefits both batteries and covers manufactures safety requirements
    Note: Sea Clear is not an acceptable wiring system!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Don't fall for the hype, nothing in your boat needs a 16 volt battery, One good Cranking battery 950 cca and 190 minutes of reserve is all that is needed, no benefit to a house battery either if the electronics wiring is updated and installed correctly. There are several reasons to not use a 16 volt battery.
    If you need more do a hybrid system Lithium and a AGM connected in parallel. Benefits both batteries and covers manufactures safety requirements
    Note: Sea Clear is not an acceptable wiring system!
    Leon, could you please elaborate on all the benefits of an AGM and lithium in parallel. This is the first time I have heard of this and I am truly intrigued.
    I would assume doing this for the cranking/electronics load would protect the charging circuit from the potential BMS disconnect problem, while also providing the benefits of the lithium battery’s voltage characteristics for large amp load electronics systems.
    Are there any disadvantages or potential problems with combining the two different type batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by B Holmes View Post
    Leon, could you please elaborate on all the benefits of an AGM and lithium in parallel. This is the first time I have heard of this and I am truly intrigued.
    I would assume doing this for the cranking/electronics load would protect the charging circuit from the potential BMS disconnect problem, while also providing the benefits of the lithium battery’s voltage characteristics for large amp load electronics systems.
    Are there any disadvantages or potential problems with combining the two different type batteries?
    Both batteries benefit from this setup in lifespan, would be a very long post to explain this in detail. Google Hybrid battery system for boats
    simple quick answer is, Lithium's do not like to be at 100% SOC, their very low resistance allows the lithium to recover fast when running and will except most of the charge current, when not running the lithium will work like a battery maintainer topping off the AGM, resulting in better life for both batteries. The AGM takes care any issue of a potential BMS shutdown that can cause damage to electrical systems on the big motor.
    Just have separate batteries for testing, and should be done on a regular basis, at least yearly as all batteries should be.
    Every boat that comes to me for any work gets the batteries tested always.
    Thank You Leon Pugh