Thread: Reed Chatter

Reed Chatter

Opti 175 Pro Xs. 1B698699 The reed chatter or "slap" seems just a bit louder to me on cold startup. Its always been like that just curious as to why. Is it just cold start harmonics or does oil coat them or what?

2. Member
    def not reeds , do not rev it in neutral please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

reeds have virtually no sound that you can hear
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    I do not Rev it in neutral. I've read posts where Don said the fiber reeds do have some "slap" that observed at idle and mid range. So that's not true?

5. Member
    BTW... your reed cage lapping (and precise reed fitment) would also play a SUBSTANTIAL role in sound dampening.

Reed "slap" is a very common sound in the ProXS engines- and it's most noticeable at idle, and 3200-3800 RPM's.

Reed "slap" is the sound of reed petals "slapping" against the reed cage as they close, under crankcase pressure.

On these specific engines (primarily the ProXS/XS engines that utilize Carbon Fiber Reeds)- it is the "nature of the beast".

Quotes from Don

6. Member
    wouldnt think temperature would change sound
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I'm just drawing that conclusion from the way vehicles sound when first started to when they warm up a but.

8. Member
    they do get lots of oil on um

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It may be a bit more noticeable when cold due to a combination of the oil lubricating them being thicker, and the engine running significantly richer.

As the reeds age (especially where standoff begins to increase) the sound may become more notable.

Some are even loud enough that you can discern which cylinder it is during a misfire test... but that usually takes about .040"+ of standoff (well outside tolerances).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor