2006 Optimax float sticking

I have a 2006 Optimax 225, serial # 1B378539 that the float is sticking closed every so often. I have replaced the fuel pumps recently, rebuilt mechanical pump, installed new needle valve, and ran new Mercury fuel line. When the float sticks closed you can not pump any fuel into vapor separator with primer bulb. Fuel filter side of vapor separator has fuel when you open drain port and can pump fuel through fuel filter side with primer bulb. When you open fuel pump side drain port, there is no fuel and primer bulb is tight. You can bump the the side of vapor canister and float unsticks and will fill with fuel again and run. The float looks good, not bent, or twisted. If float was bad it would not shut fuel off as it hangs downward. Any other issues that would cause this? Could it be vapor looking some how? Is there issue with mechanical vacuum pump? Not for sure of what to do next. It may run for 3 days, all day on water and then just all of sudden stick.

2. Member
    Check the vent on the VST canister for blockage.

3. Member
    inlet valve seat may need a lil polishing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    inlet valve seat may need a lil polishing
    +1... OR the loop portion of the float, the float pin, or even the TANG of the float may be damaged.

Any of these items can cause the float to "stick".

NOTE: It's very important that the float not close with any more pressure than is exerted by inverting the VST cap. If you bump or bind the float during assembly, the needle may develop a ring at the seat that can cause the needle to stick (often required 5x magnification or greater to see it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I was going to replace the needle seat when I change needle valve but they don't have a part # for it in mercury so I guess it is not serviceable? you would think by design that it would be impossible for it to stick since gravity and that compartment going dry once it sticks. It is odd that it just does it every so often.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One often overlooked area is the tang of the float. If it develops a "divot" where the needle contacts, it can cause the needle to bind/stick intermittently also.

When you have it out again- look at the top of the float. If you see a line mark (perpendicular to the length of the float) on the top of the float it has been jammed during assembly at some point.

There's a boss in the top cover that will "leave it's mark" on the top of the float (I've even seen one where it punched 3/8" deep into the float).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The top of the float does have a line in it. Thought that was just the way it was made because I couldn’t really see anything that it could come in contact with under normal conditions. So if it has a indented line it has been bent before?

8. Member
    The top of the float does have a line indented in it but I thought this was normal because I didn't see anything that it would hit under normal operating conditions. Does this indented line mean that at some point it was bent and bottomed out and now would need to be replaced? The float looks straight when it seats the needle valve.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't tell you "when" that happened, just that the float was jammed into the seat at some point during assembly forcing the float up into the top cap of the VST.

That indent or line shouldn't be there, but in and of itself, is just a "clue". If you don't recall seeing it from the beginning, probably wise to get a float and a needle to replace it with (now).

HP fuel pump sleeve (also).

10. Member
    Just out of curiosity, what were your symptoms during a running condition that lead you to this find? Or was it something you happened to dig into after the change in priming?

TIA

11. Member
    I have just replaced the needle valve and has been ran one time. I would like to replace the needle seat but can’t find a part number for it. Is it a replaceable part? Is it pressed into cover or screw in?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seat is not a replaceable component.

13. Member
    Okay thanks, would this come with new cover kit, Mercury # 889317T 1 ?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, the seat is a portion of the cover kit.

15. Member
    I was having fuel issues, engine would die. I may have misdiagnosed it in beginning as a bad fuel pump because there was no fuel pressure. No fuel pressure because no fuel to fuel pump. Was able to check fuel on each side of vapor separator and no fuel on fuel pump side, so it was not transferring fuel to fuel pump side.Just did checking to see where fuel was present.