Making a Quantum reel less noisy...

Picked up 2 new Quantum KVD Team baitcasting reels (left handed and 8.5:1 ratio) as they were pretty cheap so I bought them just because. Tried using one today and it would cast great as far as distance but man it was loud when that lure was being zipped out there. I noticed if I made a light cast (short distance) it wasn't too bad as far as noise. If I sent a cast out there it was LOUD. I realize these reels have been sitting around for a long time, so even being new and in plastic is the answer to lube them up or are Quantum's noisy in general?

2. Member
    Have you done anything in regards to lubing the spool bearings with a light oil?

3. Member
    I would do a good cleaning to remove the grease from the manufacturer and oil from the bearings then lightly grease the gears and add one drop of yellow rocket fuel to the bearings.

4. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    They are centrifugal brake reels. Try a very light wipe of the inner race under the palm olate with a very light oil. Sounds like that brake race is dry.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
    They are centrifugal brake reels. Try a very light wipe of the inner race under the palm olate with a very light oil. Sounds like that brake race is dry.
    Yep for sure, very akin to basic maintenance on most all Shimanos. I didn't know if this was a mag brake model.

6. Member
    Sound like this

I've heard many quantum that sound like this inherent to spool/brake design have to live with it or make it a paperweight tour s3 and smoke s3 do it as well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Sound like this

I've heard many quantum that sound like this inherent to spool/brake design have to live with it or make it a paperweight tour s3 and smoke s3 do it as well.
    Sounds like a bumblebee farting as it whizzes by...

No more unbearable than some DC whines to me. Lol

8. Member
    That was easy cast get on it and it's 10 fold

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    That was easy cast get on it and it's 10 fold
    Damn...and I thought that one farting bumblebee whizzing by was bad enough!