Thermocline in Falls

I went out for a few hours this morning, mostly to see if the new 3 in 1 transducer fixed my sonar issues. It did. :) While looking for fish I noticed a very clear thermocline in the 12-14 range and there appeared to be no life below it and lots above it. I tried fishing points in the range that crossed the thermocline with no luck. I did consider going out of 25' and trying to find suspended fish but it was starting to get hot and my back hurt so I came home. LOL. But the issue with that might have been that I saw so many fish stacked above the thermocline, I'm not sure I could have targeted bass. FWIW, I think I found several large schools of crappie (maybe white bass).

Anyone else seen the same? If so, how did you approach it?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. Member
    I would look for the lay downs in that depth range

3. Member
    I haven’t been to Falls since early March and I’m 15 minutes from Ledgerock or Barton Creek but this time of year the lake definitely has a thermocline, especially with no rain and no flow.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerdn View Post
    I would look for the lay downs in that depth range
    This ended up working pretty good. Really didn't get to it until the last hour yesterday but caught a couple small ones and a 4.4. Also got a 6.9 on Monday. Wasn't on wood but was on rock near the back. Seems to be a fish shallow visible cover kinda set up. Schooler are also chasing bait in the creek mouths near the main lake. None were big but it was fun for sure. We'll see what the rain and slightly cooler temps do over the next week. Will try again tomorrow if the weather holds.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    The thermocline is only in areas of the lake. I try to avoid those areas and move on. Look for clear water columns and let the bait lead you to the largemouth, if that’s what you’re looking for. There are large schools of white bass and yellow perch that will lead you a stray but in time you will run into the big girls. They are never far from the bait.
    21 XRS
    Garmin, LVS 34, lithium Pro, SeaClear
    8ft PP, Move and Charge

Yeah, that area of the lake deeper than 12' lol. It did seem to be less defined yesterday and a bit deeper. All that rain dropped the water temp down to a chilly 88 degrees. I've found a few school but all small fish. Yesterday was tough. Not sure if I believe solunar tables, but they said it would be. Friday is supposed to be good so we will see.

Other than schoolers, I've caught several off blow downs.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    any update on bite at falls? heading over this weekend, may explore the areas above the buoys toward 85.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmaster27012 View Post
    any update on bite at falls? heading over this weekend, may explore the areas above the buoys toward 85.
    Not from me, I haven't been out in a few days and I've never been that far upstream. Water seemed back up to normal level, maybe a tad higher.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    well i didnt make it to falls before all the floods, how bad will debris in the water be over there after debbie comes thru?

I haven’t been out in about a week and I saw a little bit but it wasn’t bad. I bet it gets worse by the end of the week.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    how is it looking around highway 50? thought about coming tomorrow but the gauge shows level still climbing and dont want to deal with a bunch of trash floating.

12. Member
    anybody been to falls since the flood? got a tourney saturday, should be interesting.

13. Member
    Haven’t been on the lake this week, but yesterday the outside ramps at both Ledge Rock and Upper Barton were blocked off; the middle ramps are still in use. Access sections to docks are under water so someone will likely get wet feet when launching. Both lots did have a few trailers parked so some are getting on the water.

14. Member
    in three days the lake hasnt even dropped a foot yet, can they not let out much water due to causing issues downstream?

15. Member
    wE nEeD rAiN

16. Member
    lake still up into the picnic shelters and fishing is tough...