Thread: suzuki 175

suzuki 175

Have a hole in the piston on my 2003 Johnson 175. My boat's rated for a 175, How would a new 175 suzuki perform on a 2003 stratos 18XL & what prop would i need to get the best out of it speed wise? Any idea what a rough average of a new motor setup ready for the water would cost? Thanks

2. Member
    Priced a 200 recently. Was 19500 out the door. Heard it could be hard to prop and a little slower than the others. I went with a sho

3. Member
    I had a Johhnyrude Ficht 175 on my Pro XL 20 foot Stratos, When it blew and blew I put a used 175 Suzyuki 4 stroke on it and ran it a couple of years. It was O.K. Not quite as fast, not easy to prop but certainly do-able. When it went broke I put a new 200DF on it. Pretty nice motor, propping it was easy for me. It'll do 60, that's fast enough for me.
    The new motors SS models, use the same dimension props as other popular motors.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. The dealer was talking to said they wouldn't sale him just a motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Thanks guys. The dealer was talking to said they wouldn't sale him just a motor.
    Not clear what you’re saying - the dealer wouldn’t what?

Suzuki requires engines to be installed by a dealer who must also install an appropriate gauge that monitors engine functions and certify that this has been done when the warranty is registered. Its a condition of their franchise agreement. They are not permitted to sell engines “in a crate”. (Higher than about 30hp tiller models anyway).
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-08-2024 at 12:20 AM.

6. Member
    That's smart on Suzuki's part and instruct the customer about bringing the motor up to temperature before taking off. A lot of 2 stroke motors blew up because of this.

7. Member
    Well, I cannot comment on pricing and selling Suzuki outboard motors. However, I can tell you that the DF 175 is a good motor and a fast four stroke. The difference between your 175 two-stroke and the 175 four stroke will be significant in the two strokes favor, possibly 5 to 7 mph the first strike 175 was a very nice V6 engine versus a four in-line. Also the 175 had a 1.86 gear ratio versus a 2.5 gear ratio for the fourth stroke. There is one tremendous downside benefit is fuel consumption. Your fuel consumption will drop dramatically. I build Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda, four cycle engines all day long for commercial industrial applications only. I see what fails and what does not fail. I see the abuse and neglect. I see the worst of all worlds when it comes to outboard motors. The DF 175 is a very good engine however, it will turn higher or p.m. and once you access 6200 RPM the chance of a catastrophic explosion is greatly increased. One of the biggest areas of complaints or the very short valve God’s life expectancy in my eyes is less than 500 running hours. Before you would need a head job. Honda has a very long and high-quality valve guide. However, they’re 175 is a V-6. if you are Soli looking for speed the 175 Suzuki is an excellent choice in that horsepower range just beware that the valve shims will float at the recommended wide-open throttle at 6200 RPM range.

8. Member
    Max rpm range is 6100 on the DF175.

Valve clearances should be checked accordingly to the Suzuki recommended schedule, it was every 400hrs but I think it may have changed to every 500hrs. But this will be listed in the schedule. Do not neglect to do this check and adjust the clearances if required. You will need a special tool and either a shim kit or will need to wait while you order in the required shims after the check.

We have loads of commercial marine rescue boats here that run up around 750 hrs per year and keep these engines for 4-5 years without having any issues. And they are then on-sold and keep running for years. I know commercial fishermen that have 6-7,000 trouble free hours up.

I agree on the fuel savings. We used to say that the V6 2 stroke Johnsons didnt need a water pump because they were fuel cooled ….. LOL!

I would be pretty confident that your friend will use less than half the fuel that the Johnson used.

They only sell the AP model here now, has fly by wire controls that are very nice. I gather you can get the hot foot for them too.

I would recommend your friend gets the SMG4 digital gauge installed by the dealer if he goes ahead with the purchase. Easy to use, accurate and reliable.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-10-2024 at 02:16 AM.