Thread: hull waxing

hull waxing

different recco on waxing the hull s1)dont wax 2)wax only above waterline 3)everything but pad 4) wax whole hull input appreciated

2. Member
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/sp/en/lifestyle/dockline/quick-tip-how-to-wax-your-boat

Sealant & wax protect your hull because gelcoat is porous. Wax creates a smooth finish which actually increases surface tension & can affect speed (to what extent I have no idea).

Personally, I wax my entire hull less the pad…..mainly to prevent tannic staining & use lucas slick mist or bassboat saver every 4-6 weeks.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I like to wax everywhere from the top down to a bit below where the scum line would be on the bottom. Waxing the pad will slow boats down when running wot. At various degrees based on the hull and horsepower. Some on the lower speed end may not even be noticeable. The faster the boat the more it will be affected. Breaking up the surface of the water where it meets the pad creates less hydrodynamic drag thus increases speed. High-performance boats benefit the most. Getting under there and wet sanding the pad actually will increase speed. It helps break up the surface water where it meets the pad. High performance offshore boats figured this principle out a long time ago and many started creating multiple steps throughout the mold for the hull.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    I wax down to the corner of the side/ bottom. Decent spot to stop at a corner and not have a noticeable difference in a section.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

5. Member
    I do not wax in any traditional sense. If the water is semi-clean when I pull the boat out, I use wax as you dry down to the scum line. I waxed an Ranger boat had at one time and felt it may have hurt my speed and did little in return to make the hull look better
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Back in the 90’s I learned that a matte finished hull was faster. The matte finish agitated the water introducing more air. More air in the water created less drag on the hull for quicker hole shot and more speed. Matte hulls also collect dirt and discolor more quickly. Conversely, a smooth waxed hull has more adhesion like a flat plate sticks to a wet table but offers more protection and longevity to the hull.
    Last edited by Finlander; Yesterday at 01:01 PM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS (S/N 1B869055) - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

7. Member
    Gotta wax it. Can't stand it being dirty. Boat is still fast enough for me.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons