VZ250 didn't want to start

Hello all

A while back I had a major starting issue that turned out to be very bad fuel. Replaced. Brand new ethanol-free is what it has now. I drained the fuel filter and VST. Went out a couple weeks ago and had no issues starting at all.

Spent some time diagnosing my issue with automatic oil transfer (different thread) otherwise nothing was changed on the boat/motor.

I started the motor last night to make sure there were no surprises. It started fine in the driveway on muffs.

Today, went to the lake, backed into the water and IT WOULD NOT START. What now???? After several minutes of trying, I started "dumping" fuel by engaging the throttle (nearly wide open and not in gear, of course). It started and ran just fine.

Went to fishing spot. Trolled and fished. Started up and moved. Trolled and fished. Started up and moved. Repeat that about 4 or 5 times. Finally decided to head in and on the last start'n'move... IT WOULD NOT START. Again! Dumped gas like before and it finally started. Parked in a slip to get my truck. It started instantly and I was able to load it normally.

What in the world could possibly be the problem? ALL fuel filters (except one stubborn basket filter) were replaced within the last two years. Both low pressure fuel pumps are new as well. I know this is telling me something but my 2-stroke knowledge is limited somewhat.

I'm open to suggestions of where to start. Although it is in my signature, it's a 2007 VZ250TLR.

Thanks in advance
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

Bad primer bulb? Bad fuel pump relay?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Mine was the primer bulb.

4. Member
    I think the primer bulb was ok. It stiffened up as expected but I'll certainly look into it. Will also look in to the relay. Thanks for input.

Just saw a number of threads talking about the low pressure fuel pumps failing often with similar symptoms. Mine have less than 10 hours run time on them. Hope they don't fail that easily! Will check'em just in case.

UPDATE: The test on pumps by loosening attach bolts and squeezing primer bulb was a pass. No leaks observed.
    Last edited by spinkick63; 09-09-2024 at 07:45 PM.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

5. Member
    FOLLOW-UP: I replaced the fuel pump relay that's parked near the ECU. No problems starting. It died once before the motor warmed up otherwise ran very well. If the next couple of launches go as well I will call this turkey done.

Hope this is helpful someone else in the future.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html