Factory Patch Visible (options)

I’m the original owner of a 2004 Champion 198 Elite. At about the 8 year mark I started noticing a slight discoloration in the metal flake / clear coat of a 15 inch section of my top cap towards the rear of the boat. Its hard to see in the day pic depending on the angle of the sun but if you look towards the top of the metal flake you can see a difference. Its really noticeable at night if I shine a flashlight on the area. I had my boat in for engine maintenance a while back and the tech commented on the area and said it was a factory patch. He said the boat probably cracked and Champion fixed it before delivery by patching the area. 15ish years later and I’m doing some restoration on the boat. Nothing major as it was kept out of the weather and babied through the years. I need to replace the Champion Logos on my seats. I was going to also polish and wax the entire boat since its been a bit since I really went over it well.

What are my options with the discolored area? Is this Oxidation that can be wet sanded and buffed out or is this more the clear coat that was used by Champion which will require some legit restoration work? The area does not feel different, the shine is the same - its just depending on the angle of the light there is a visual difference. It has not gotten any worse in the years since it was first noticed. There is no separation, bubbling, etc - the area is smooth to the touch. If you look directly down at the area in the sun you can’t notice it that much. Really just me being a perfectionist and that section of the boat just bugs me.

IMG_3267.png
    IMG_3269.png
    Last edited by R1Peacock; 08-12-2024 at 08:00 PM.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

Moved to Bassboat Restoration
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

3. Member
    That is interesting for sure. I would find a good fiberglass & gel coat repair shop in your area that has a good reputation working on bass boats and metal flake. Do you know what your metal flake top cap color is? A good shop should be able to match it. My guess would be around $800.00-$1,200 for a proper repair.

My wife picked out the color ��. Mystique Indigo is the blueish color.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

5. Member
    Doesn't look like a patch to me. No blend there. I see it on the inlay and the pin but not on the white. With the line there It looks like a spill. Try easy things first. Work the gel coat with polish on a foam pad with a DA first. If more is needed go to a wool roto wheel with a cut polish then back to foam DA with polish, and then see what you have.... Wet sand is just more aggressive yet.

I got blueberry, close.
    IMG_20210122_132835539.jpg
    Last edited by rid 05 198; 08-13-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Going to try least aggressive 1st with some marine specific compound and a wool buffing pad. Hoping for an easy fix but preparing for the worse.
    Last edited by R1Peacock; 08-14-2024 at 01:49 PM.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

7. Member
    Garry Wright would be who I would let touch this, if it’s a garage queen.