Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prices on used utility trailers

I want a decent 12-16' pipe rail utility trailer for use around the house etc. Don't have a preference of single or dual axle and figured it would be based the size etc anyway. I wanted regular size 13-15" wheels, decent wiring and maybe some type of ramp or ramp gate. Bumper pull was only other must have.
    I decided to look at used models first. Don't know what it is but almost every used one is priced high enough that I'm just gonna buy new. There are some real doozies out there. Some look like Stevie Wonder built them in shop class.
    I can buy brand new for not much more so just gonna go that route.

I have not looked at them, but had a guy offer me three times what I paid for my 16' trailer in '96 just the other day. It is not even in that great of shape.
    "NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC"
    Toby Keith

3. Member
    Just one of those things I prefer to buy new if I would need one. I can't trust another person's junk and not knowing how they take care of their stuff. Too much on the line in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Just one of those things I prefer to buy new if I would need one. I can't trust another person's junk and not knowing how they take care of their stuff. Too much on the line in this situation.

The more thought I gave it I cake around to the same line of thinking.i can buy brand new based on what I choose from $1800-3000 and have no worries that it was ragged out.

5. Member
    Good decision to buy new.

Plenty of good brands out there , I’m partial to Sure-Trac. They have a square tube top, built great attention to detail and build quality.

I bought my 6x12 single axle for around 2K. No regrets. I may go back and buy another 7x14 tandem in the near future, especially if I make the jump to purchase a sub compact tractor.

my brother brought one early spring for 2300 and change for 18' w/ramp and dual axle 16" wheels.. new.. took a couple of weeks to find his deal..

I have a road king, galvanized 14ft. It's 25 years old and around 25k miles on it, take ATVs up to my cabin, and lots of chores. Looks new, would not buy a painted trailer, paint get nicked up and rusty. I use the hell out of it, hauling things.

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    I've have a 7' X 10' or 12' SureTrac for 10 or 12 years at this point. Plenty wide enough to see in the mirrors.

Has a one of those plastic tool box on the front. No issues just about have the 15" tires worn out. Tows great as fast as you care to go.

Best feature is the gate will fold down inside the box. Why you may ask. Its pretty much a sail. On long empty trips its nice to have the sail out of the wind. I'll never buy another that won't do that if I can help it.
    Last edited by Rick H; 09-06-2024 at 05:12 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    i have a 5 X 10 single axel tilt trailer that i use a ton hauling mowers and other stuff. it gets used a couple times a week especially during the mowing season. It does pretty much what i need,, HOWEVER,, if i were buying tomorrow i'd buy at least a 16 footer, tandem axel for those few times a light duty, small, single axel won't get it.. If i didn't have unlimited access to a few other trailers that aren't mine i would sell the tilt and buy another one.. I don't have a problem buying used if the price is right as trailers arent rocket science and new wood, wiring and lights are easy..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

10. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    Utility trailers just flat out hold their value. I bought (stole) a new Heartland 7x14 with 3500# tandem axles and a drop down ramp a few years ago that sits more than it's used. Hauling an ATV and clearing brush is the reason I bought it. Its just one of those things that is nice to have when you need it. Just ask my friends, they seem to get more use out of it than I do. You know what they say about a friend with a boat. The same holds true for a friend with a trailer

IMG_2514.jpg
    “You can’t wait until life isn’t hard to decide to be happy.”

11. Member
    I have a 2022 Karavan, pipe rail, 5x8, wood floor, utility trailer with 44-inch vertical expanded metal ramp, GVWR 2000 lb. Tow it with my Tahoe maybe twice per month to haul a mower. I can't even tell it's back there, ramp has no sail affect, air goes right thru ramp. Those 480-12 6-ply 90psi tires have harsh ride (guess, railroad tracks, intersection dips).
    Last edited by tj; 09-06-2024 at 05:44 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

12. Member
    Any auctions coming up around you that have farm equipment etc...
    Don't take life so seriously no one get's out alive

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Skipper View Post
    Utility trailers just flat out hold their value. I bought (stole) a new Heartland 7x14 with 3500# tandem axles and a drop down ramp a few years ago that sits more than it's used. Hauling an ATV and clearing brush is the reason I bought it. Its just one of those things that is nice to have when you need it. Just ask my friends, they seem to get more use out of it than I do. You know what they say about a friend with a boat. The same holds true for a friend with a trailer

IMG_2514.jpg

Just look around at what some are trying to pass off as in good shape, well built, and hardly used....

14. Member
    I have noticed since Covid used trailer prices went up tremendously. Like Mark stated, many are well used and they want almost new prices.

I'm on the bigger is better bandwagon too. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. You can haul anything on the 16ft trailer that you can on the 12ft. I have a 5x10 single axle (inherited) and a 16ft dual. The 16 gets more use. It pulls better and backs better. A short trailer can ge a booger to back with a full size truck. I mostly use the 10 if I need to haul something with the Jeep.

15. Member
    I would have no reservations about buying used as long as it is not rusted. Servicing a trailer is not hard. However I agree about the pricing on used ones. Folks are proud of them. I know trailers in ge weak have risen disproportionately when compared to the already ridiculous inflation.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

16. Member
    In this economy everything that is preowned costs lots more. Everyone is so "proud" of what they have to sell, they don't care that they are pricing themselves out the market.

17. Member
    Sorry to see this today - just sold a decent Big Tex single axle 14 foot trailer with drop down ramp for 400 dollars, with brand new tires on it. I had it for 15 years, but didn't use it more than once or twice a year. Would have been perfect for what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Sorry to see this today - just sold a decent Big Tex single axle 14 foot trailer with drop down ramp for 400 dollars, with brand new tires on it. I had it for 15 years, but didn't use it more than once or twice a year. Would have been perfect for what you're looking for.

For sure. Hate that I missed out on it

19. Member
    You might could find a northern tool coupon and end up paying the same for a new as you would a used. Sometimes they have a pretty good discount if you spend over X number of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbass2 View Post
    You might could find a northern tool coupon and end up paying the same for a new as you would a used. Sometimes they have a pretty good discount if you spend over X number of dollars.

I think I might avoid buying a trailer from a box store etc. The quality does not seem as good from as from a trailer dealer and prices are pretty similar.

NRS is local to us and where the business started. They gave a trailer sales division called NTS with good quality trailer. I found a couple there and also some Big Tex branded ones at a dealer I like. Prices are really decent. Probably grab one next week. Gonna research a little more until then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast