Garmin Echomap Ultra2 gps waypoints and m360 issue

I tried searching for this but not sure what terms I should use but was wondering if anyone has seen this issue and if so is there any adjustments that I can make to minimize it. What I am having issues with is when I am using sidescan from the console using my gt36 at the back of the boat and adding waypoints for brushpiles and other objects. When I go up to the front of the boat and get on my m360 I have another echomap ultra2 at the front of the boat networked and can see my waypoints but when I find the brush with m360 they are no where close to where the are on the map. Not sure that makes sense but it can be off by a good bit, never have really measured but its enough that I have to search around with the m360 to find the brush. I know with gps they are only accurate for a certain distance but it seems to be pretty far apart. I am getting good GPS lock so thats not the issue but maybe it's how I am marking the waypoints but something is not correct.

Has anyone seen this before and if so where you able to correct it and if so how. I have not called garmin support since most of the ones I talk to are just reading for the q&a guides from the website so I thought I would ask here first.

2. Member
    Consumer GPS devices have an uncertainty in position of between 1m and 5m (5m is about 16 feet). A 3-m (10-foot) uncertainty is typical. Are you talking about errors larger than this?

This 5m uncertainty in position is just a fact of life and is based on the limited precision of the technology. The military has access to higher precision stuff (precision of 1m or less), but we consumers typically don't have access to that level of precision.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKlindworth View Post
    Consumer GPS devices have an uncertainty in position of between 1m and 5m (5m is about 16 feet). A 3-m (10-foot) uncertainty is typical. Are you talking about errors larger than this?

This 5m uncertainty in position is just a fact of life and is based on the limited precision of the technology. The military has access to higher precision stuff (precision of 1m or less), but we consumers typically don't have access to that level of precision.
    I think its larger than that, I called Garmin and they said I shouldn't be seeing that much difference. I have range rings set on my garmin for 75ft and have range rings set up on my m360 for 80ft. I pull up to a way point that is well within my range and look on the m360 and get nada.I need to do some more testing and see how far it really is. I understand and know commercial gps has a range but hbird and lowrance do not seem to have this issue. Making me regret giing with garmin over lowrance, I like the units but I need them to work better than they currently are.

4. Member
    Where is your GPS antennae in reference to each other. One on the back of the boat and one in the front? If so you will have an error of that distance to add to the quality of the GPS signal. In fact if you are not going the same direction as when the waypoint was saved you could double that error. The open view of the sky should be wide open to get the most satellites you can for a better fix. If something is blocking the gps view it gets less accurate.(people including yourself) motors for rear mounted GPS, tackle boxes or anything else close to it. There may be calibrations not done. What I am trying to get across most issues with inaccuracy are not because of the GPS hardware, but installation or other factors. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Are you marking the object or boat position?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Where is your GPS antennae in reference to each other. One on the back of the boat and one in the front? If so you will have an error of that distance to add to the quality of the GPS signal. In fact if you are not going the same direction as when the waypoint was saved you could double that error. The open view of the sky should be wide open to get the most satellites you can for a better fix. If something is blocking the gps view it gets less accurate.(people including yourself) motors for rear mounted GPS, tackle boxes or anything else close to it. There may be calibrations not done. What I am trying to get across most issues with inaccuracy are not because of the GPS hardware, but installation or other factors. JMO Bob
    GPS is built-in to the head units there is no external GPS antenna and I have one graph at the console and one at the bow. I think what I am going to try is to have the one on the bow utilize the GPS signal at the console which is closer to the transducer which is at the back of the boat. I asked Garmin if this was possible and they said it was. Nothing is blocking the GPS signal they both have clear view to the sky. Going to make those changes and do some testing and see what I can come up with.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    Are you marking the object or boat position?
    I am marking objects not boat position.