Spinning Reel Opinions

Need to purchase a new spinning reel. I found the shimano Vanford for about $175, is there a better reel for the money in this price range?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Member
    Vanford is a great reel, absolutely. What techniques are you using it for and what rod will you pair it up with?

3. Member
    Shimano poison adrena 7’2 medium light and gonna use primarily for drop shot.

4. Member
    I think the Vanford is worth the $250 price you'd pay at Tackle Warehouse, so at $175 it's an absolute steal !!!

5. Member
    appreciate the input

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I think the Vanford is worth the $250 price you'd pay at Tackle Warehouse, so at $175 it's an absolute steal !!!

Probably the previous version Vanford, which I didn’t like over the CI4+ Stradic that it replaced. The new one might possibly be what it should have been in the first place.
    Last edited by JJohnSind; 08-30-2024 at 08:22 AM.

Abu Garcia Revo X punches well above its price point.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS (S/N 1B869055) - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Probably the previous version Vanford, which I didn’t like over the CI4+ Stradic that it replaced. The new one might possibly be what it should have been in the first place.
    I only have experience with the Stradic FL, not a CI4+. Maybe the CI4+, other than being lighter, was a better reel. I know I feel the Vanford is a better reel than the Stradic FL. And not just from a weight standpoint.

I picked up a Sustain FJ this past spring, and while I have no need for another spinning reel, I'd be curious how the new Vanford stacks up to the Sustain FJ. I absolutely love the Sustain. I've read some reviews where people think the drag on the Sustain is junk. Either I got one with an awesome drag, or they got one with a bad one, because the drag on mine is very smooth.

Still, at $175 you can't go wrong with a Vanford.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    it is definitely the previous version, not the new FA. I have a couple of these Vanfords and have had no issues. I posted to make sure there wasn’t something I was missing.

Any of the medium priced Shimano Reels are great. I run Stradic 2500HG's and love them !! You'll be very happy with the Vanfords !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Vatrer Lithium / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank1up View Post
    it is definitely the previous version, not the new FA. I have a couple of these Vanfords and have had no issues. I posted to make sure there wasn’t something I was missing.

The only thing I didn’t like about the OG Vanfords was the flex in the rotor. Stem is really solid (as it should be). When the Vanfords first came out, they were hard to find in stock, so I went to the new Daiwa Ballistic MQ’s. I liked those better for the relatively same price point, but I liked them so much I moved on to the Exists (where the monocoque design came from).

I would go a Used Certate on Ebay
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!