1999 90 HP mercury won't stay idleing

3 cyl, oil injected,...no problem starting. But dies after4-10 seconds...I did get it to stay going for a little bit by pumping bulb...fuel pump?..going to pull gas from pump to carb tomorrow and see if there's any flow...gas is good,lines and bulb good,no seperater,no gas vent plug or screen.other gas tube goes to filler cap. So I assume vents there...fuel enricher works. Clicks and reads(11.4ohms)plugs good...any ideas?
    O

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If pumping the bulb keeps it idling, I would be pulling the pulse fuel pump and rebuilding it with an OEM MERCURY/QUICKSILVER kit ONLY.

Then see where you are at.

Note: If this does not resolve the problem, don't continue running it. Anytime you have a fuel delivery problem, you also have an OIL delivery problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Could it be a venting issue with the fuel tank?
    Hi Mike.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Could it be a venting issue with the fuel tank?
    Possibly- is it a Built-in fuel tank or a PORTABLE tank?

If portable, check the fill cap to see if it "clicks" when tightened firmly.

Clicks: Check to make sure an FDV is in place (Fuel Demand Valve). Many aftermarket tanks do not come with this REQUIRED item.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor