Foil on a Pro XS or an R engine.

Has anyone seen a hydro foil on these engines? I have one sitting here. Thinking about trying it to see if it will help my hole shot problem. Just wondering if the casting is weak and that’s why you don’t see them.

2. Member
    I'm sure the Mercury casting is strong enough. I don't have a Merc, however I've ran foils on previous boats without any issues. I highly recommend a foil.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

3. Member
    I think the weak or soft casting is on the skeg part of the lower unit. The area where the foil would bolt on should be fine. However, I don't have a foil and if I felt I needed one, I would talk to Tim Powell at Fastbass Marine to get his advice before drilling holes. They have test a lot of the foils and various engines and setups. JMHO.
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport 2+2
    2019 Mercury 300R
    Aqua Traction from Fastbass Marine

4. Member
    Yeah that’s where I started. That weak metal in the skeg is the same weak metal in the hollow cavitation plate. I learned from one of Tim’s testers that it really didn’t make much difference. Also warranty void if you install one.

5. Member
    From my experience with a foil on a 300R. I do not recommend one. If you screw it up it's only 10K to replace it.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

6. Member
    I would think twice on adding that foil if you run any kind of big/rough water.

7. Member
    Why would you want one? They are a bandaid solution to having an incorrect setup.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Why would you want one? They are a bandaid solution to having an incorrect setup.
    My strokers fall off plane sub 25mph without one. They haven't provided much use outside of that. But I'll keep them on full time just for the convenience.
    08 Stroker - '23 300R 1.75 Gears

9. Member

Certainly are a bunch of them at every odba race

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    Certainly are a bunch of them at every odba race
    Beat me to it!

11. Member
    This may be an item where your mileage may vary, but an Allison cav plate has been one of the best and easy additions I have made, not to mention the fact they don’t cost near as much as other alternatives.

12. Member
    I am not going to install one. To many reasons on the negative side to go ahead with it.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    From my experience with a foil on a 300R. I do not recommend one. If you screw it up it's only 10K to replace it.
    This! Con's far outweigh the Pro's IMO!!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0