Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Found Them...or they found me

Yellow jackets in the ground where I hang my ladders on the back of the garage. 6 or 7 stings on the inside crook of my arm. Biggest my bicep has been in a long time. Itches like crazy. Gasoline it will be as soon as it gets dark and everyone is home.

That’s one of the critters on my “let’s make them extinct” list. A******s of the bug world.

3. Member
    Glad it wasn't worse!

4. #FRB
    I'm bad allergic to most stings like that. They're the evil meth heads of the bug world.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Yellow jackets in the ground where I hang my ladders on the back of the garage. 6 or 7 stings on the inside crook of my arm. Biggest my bicep has been in a long time. Itches like crazy. Gasoline it will be as soon as it gets dark and everyone is home.
    Kick the a$$ and take names, then post them on here……lol

Rub wet tobacco on where they stung you. Believe me, it works!

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer1 View Post
    Rub wet tobacco on where they stung you. Believe me, it works!
    It really does. I don't dip or chew anymore so don't keep it around but if I get stung while with someone who does I'll make an exception.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I've had two run ins with them.

9. Member
    How do you find the nest if it's in the lawn?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman99 View Post
    How do you find the nest if it's in the lawn?
    You try to spot them returning to their hole in the ground.

11. Member
    That's a lot of stings. I got stung twice about a year or so ago. 90% rubbing alcohol got rid of the pain pretty quick.

12. Member
    It is usually a hole in the ground about the diameter of your thumb. I took a chair into the yard near where I was stung right around dark. Sit still and you will see them going into the hole. Pour plenty of gas into the nest hole. Got my John Deere back as well.

13. Member
    I went back a few minutes later and it was obvious where they were going in the ground between 2 slabs of sandstone. Just finished pouring about 1/2 cup of gas and igniting. Some still around so will do again about daylight. I took a ladder off of the hangers Monday, early morning, and they must not have been active yet. They were when I put it back.

Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    I went back a few minutes later and it was obvious where they were going in the ground between 2 slabs of sandstone. Just finished pouring about 1/2 cup of gas and igniting. Some still around so will do again about daylight. I took a ladder off of the hangers Monday, early morning, and they must not have been active yet. They were when I put it back.
    You don't need to ignite the gas. The fumes will go down the hole and kill them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Be careful, I got stung twice within two day's of each other in the same area and came close to going into shock. I have to keep pills handy now just in case.

16. Member
    Got stung twice on my front porch yesterday. They have a nest in some vinyl rolls my wife stores there. I'll just be careful and wait till winter to take care of them.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    You don't need to ignite the gas. The fumes will go down the hole and kill them.
    True, but not near as fun. WHOOSH!!
    I'd Rather be Fishing

18. Member
    I keep a bushel basket full of oak, hickory and pecan chunks on the shelf on the back porch, for added smoke and flavor when grillin. Last year moved it to clean the shelf off and yellow jackets started buzzing around. I watched for a few minutes and saw where they were going in a crack in the botton of the basket. So I camped out by it for about 30 minutes or more with a can of brakleen. Sprayed the individuals as they were coming and going. When the numbers were greatly reduced I got a new can, dumped the basket over and sprayed like heck, got em all. They had a nest about the size of a desert plate...were just getting started. I came away from that fiasco sting free, got lucky. I have not been as lucky in past times. Most I've been stung before was 36 times. Uncovered a huge nest with the box blade one day.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    There are effective products that are far safer than gasoline and won’t contaminate your groundwater. Buy a can of foaming wasp killer that includes a wand similar to what comes with WD40. Two good soakings in their entry tunnel is usually enough to kill a nest.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    The hornet and wasp spray works great for me. Had 3 stings on top of the hand a couple years ago and itched like crazy for a week. Last year the wife got it on the forearm at least 4 times and could barely move her wrist. Almost went to the ER with her but she got better pretty quick.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast