Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Job mentality…..

For those in the BBC community that are 55+, how many don’t like their job but are working just for the insurance. I’ve been at it 35 years full time and would like to retire now but continue for the health insurance.

Anyone else in this mode?

2. Member
    There are many good and affordable ACA (Obamacare) plans for insurance before medicare age. Some states are certainly better than others.

3. Member
    55. Working to put icing on the cake. Don't love it, but good at it, and it's not mentally draining. Certainly don't worry much as I used to.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

Used to like my work. New company bought them out and now they really suck. Tired of the grind with this outfit so will be leaving one year from this July after 35 years. I will only be 61 but can't stand this outfit any longer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by setsail26 View Post
    There are many good and affordable ACA (Obamacare) plans for insurance before medicare age. Some states are certainly better than others.
    They all suck unless you make hardly any money. Very high deductible and my wife and I pay $1,800 a month.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Insurance was a big factor in considering retirement it was also good to salt away some more money in the 401K. It would have been tough to retire at 55 was making good money with great benefits. I know some guys who retired early then tried to get a job after they turned 60 when figuring out they hadn’t saved enough. They sure didn’t have much luck getting a job like the one they walked away from.

7. Member
    I was very fortunate in that I was able to retain my company insurance at the same good rate, both for myself and my wife. Otherwise one or both of us would probably still be at it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecktech View Post
    I was very fortunate in that I was able to retain my company insurance at the same good rate, both for myself and my wife. Otherwise one or both of us would probably still be at it.
    Wife was on my healthcare until Medicare kicked in and retiree health insurance is a rare thing nowadays but was able to retire at 57.

9. Member
    Insurance for sure is a huge consideration...

I have a great healthcare job with an excellent schedule (3 day work week with 3 day weekends) My wife retired last year at 63... and I have a 20 year old son still on my insurance. I *like* my job but would retire tomorrow if I could.

Our plan? Get my wife on Medicare at 65... get my son on his own insurance (he's a machinist on his way to a good job). I'm 60.5 years old... and would like to retire at 63ish... but to be honest I could keep working and dumping a bunch of cash into my 403B.

BUT we have a little vacation/retirement home in Florida that I would like to advantage of earlier rather than later and spend more time with my wife!

Complicated stuff.. this retirement thing....

Cheers!

10. Member
    I loved what I did before I retired at 52, but didn't want to move again. Company came back and asked if I wanted to work part time. Been doing that for 13 years now. Very low stress, no performance plans/goals/reviews. Doing what I like with people I've known for many years. All remote, 2 days a week which are very flexible. Plus active employee medical. I'm medicare age now, but have never used it. Not sure how long I'll keep doing it, but it's easy and keeps my mind active.
    John

Can't wait to push my toolbox off the dock and call it a career.
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Covid killed our business so me and 98% of the company employees got laid off out of the blue.

Long story short - At 61 I had to find insurance. Went to healthcare.gov and for the next three yrs + had very good insurance at premiums that ranged from .01 cent/month up to 78$/month. They changed from year to year how they calculate your subsidy.

So "if" your income is a range of percentage above the poverty line, you get a lot of subsidy. Usually around 18k or so. My premium would be around $875/mo, subsidy was usually 95% of that.

But you have to cash on hand to meet your living expenses. That is the catch. You can make your income match the exact yearly amount by withdrawing from your IRA just enough.

It ain't cheating, just the rules I played by.

Hell, I'm 45 and ahhh nevermind.

Been with my employer for 24 years and have never taken out insurance with them due to my wife's government insurance was so good. All I do is 401K with them. I'm 63. My wife retired last year and she draws a portion of her salary for the rest of her life, and we get to keep the insurance for the rest of our lives. Blessed with that! I love my job so much that I may work until I'm 100. Get to BBC every day. What else can a man ask for?
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

15. Member
    I'm only 40, but I'm only working this job for money and insurance.

16. Member
    68. Retired at 62. Paid $1 a month for Obama care till Medicare kicked in. Now Pay 149 bucks a month for Blue Cross. Covered everything from my back surgery last November Medicare alone is fine for some. It covers all but 20%

17. Member
    I LOVED my DOD contract job but after awarding our contract to a foreign company the luster faded within a year. The Covid shutdown was my final straw. Thankfully as a 20 year military active duty retiree, health insurance did not factor into the decision. My health insurance will actually more than triple in price when I turn 65.

18. Member
    I love my job. I shoot stuff all day. I work in a ballistics lab, have great insurance, good pay, no travel, 11 paid holidays plus sick leave and annual leave.

Hopefully I can hang in there for another 6-7 years then hang it up or go part time.

The insurance is the main reason I don't retire now.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by Rider99XX; 01-26-2024 at 08:08 AM.
    Hi Mike.

19. Member
    I like my job.! It sucks getting there though. And I’m working for the insurance,scared without it.!

20. Member
    40. Here for the paycheck, killer insurance and pension.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast