2021 200 Fourstroke vs Pro Xs

I have a friend that is looking at a boat with a 200 Mercury Fourstroke (non Pro XS). From my research it appears that the difference is upper RPM range and possibly a gearcase. Are there any other significant differences? The boat is a 2021 Pantera Classic if that helps. I do not have a serial number as the boat is listed for sale and he hasn't gotten the detailed info yet. Thanks for any help or thoughts you can provide.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcguirt24 View Post
    I have a friend that is looking at a boat with a 200 Mercury Fourstroke (non Pro XS). From my research it appears that the difference is upper RPM range and possibly a gearcase. Are there any other significant differences? The boat is a 2021 Pantera Classic if that helps. I do not have a serial number as the boat is listed for sale and he hasn't gotten the detailed info yet. Thanks for any help or thoughts you can provide.
    The 4stroke 200 is a V6, 3.4l displacement, dry weight = 475lbs
    The 4Stroke 200 Pro XS is a V8, 4.6l, dry weight = 511lbs
    Both seem to have 1.85:1 gear ratio.
    Motor Mounts may be a bit stiffer on the ProXS, not sure.
    I think you can get the standard, non proXS in multiple colors (a couple different shades of white) in addition to Phantom Black
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-29-2024 at 11:14 AM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    I would post this question under the Basscat forums and see what kind of feedback you get. Basscat will reply to you unlike every other manufacturer.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If this is for a Fishing application- he WILL want the ProXS. The V6-200 is a good engine, but there's not really any fair comparison when you consider the displacement difference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks to each of you for the feedback. I appreciate it!