Let's talk end of spawn-post spawn

Here in East TN most bass are either finished spawning or post spawn. The bite is off, for me at least, and I need some input on how to catch some LM and SM bass.

The few we are catching are nothing over couple lbs . I have moved out of spawning grounds and back to points.

Driving the struggle boat is getting old LOL

Help appreciated.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

2. Member
    After spawn I always grab a dropshot and start hitting outside weed edges for numbers. Chatterbaits fished slow work well for me also. If you have real rocky or steep drop lakes maybe try a 12' crank.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Here in East TN most bass are either finished spawning or post spawn. The bite is off, for me at least, and I need some input on how to catch some LM and SM bass.

The few we are catching are nothing over couple lbs . I have moved out of spawning grounds and back to points.

Help appreciated.
    find new water the entire lake shouldnt be in the same mood.. if you are in areas where the literally just got done spawning they are in one heck of a off mood for a little while before they move out and chew

My logic is since all bass in the same lake don't all spawn at the same time then all bass are not in post spawn at the same time. Its spread out over a couple of months. I just go fishing and cover water. Usually the topwater bite gets going really well. Shad spawnbite can be good and even some late spawners still fry guarding. Mostly I just cover water and junk fish.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 05-09-2024 at 08:36 AM.

5. Member
    After the spawn I focus on the Shad spawn followed by the bluegill spawn. Finding where these spawns are taking place is key.

6. Member
    I like to run a Spinnerbait or fluke through the Fry schools. If you can find them.

7. Member
    Some fish spawning for 3 months here. I look forward to post spawn topwater bite. Algae is keeping us from seeing beds and fishing is kinda tough. Was still 58 degrees this morning.

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    After spawn I always grab a dropshot and start hitting outside weed edges for numbers. Chatterbaits fished slow work well for me also. If you have real rocky or steep drop lakes maybe try a 12' crank.
    I've been having a ball catching mostly spots on a dropshot and 10.5' Dredger. Yeah it takes work when targeting individual active fish with a dropshot but even that can be fun in a strange glutton for punishment way. Past 4 trips equal to about 30 hours of time fishing. I've caught well over 100 bass in those 30 hours this past week. They've been in a strange mood and scattered between spawning areas and summer areas but once the code is cracked it's easy pickins.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Which lake are you fishing?
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigheadworm View Post
    Which lake are you fishing?
    Douglas and Cherokee but Douglas more often.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

11. Member
    Post spawn is my favorite time of year to fish but it may be a little different up north. First thing in the morning I check for the top water bite, then I check shallow off shore rock for cruising smallmouth, then when the sun comes up I fish some docks and shallow cover. Whatever works best I try and run throughout the day.

Fish are just about to move on beds here depending on the lake
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (95,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Help appreciated.
    Similar situation at SML, most success relates to the shad spawn and the guys fishing at night are doing well.

13. Member
    I had the same problem recently. I had caught them good in spawning pockets the week before. The following weekend was dead in the same area. I didn’t find eating fish again until I got out on the main lake.

14. Member
    Wacky rigged senko and some patients will do the trick.

15. Member
    If they are sitting under shade then light weight dart head will get bit.

I haven't been on Douglas since first of April mainly been fishing the upper 3 tva lakes Boone,South Holston and Watauga Smallmouth are just about done on them and Largemouth and spots are still on bed. Probably hurts Douglas not being full this rain will probably fill it up.Should be a good shad spawn going on.
    Douglas and Cherokee but Douglas more often.
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

17. Member
    Here, my rule of thumb here is at 70+ degree water temps and rising, and the majority of bed fish and shad being done with their business, I start looking off shore. Once those shad spawn, they run out to the current or depth. Bass follow them. 1st little drops along creek channels in spawning bays, end of secondary and main points, and brush piles and similar cover in between. Rising water & Aquatic Vegetation can change this. I'd rather fish where they are going than where they are leaving. Find them and follow them right out. On Ky Lake I've seen them be piled in flooded bushes in the back of bays and pockets one day, evaporate from them the next, and be all the way on the river channel ledges main lake in 2 days. They do always get funky to catch for a few days until they get back stable or get schooled up in some numbers. When they are scattered out post-spawn.. Always challenging.

18. Member
    You've got fish that spawned a few weeks ago, some that just spawned, and others that haven't yet. They are scattered all over the place between their summer hideouts and spawning areas.

Your best chance for groups of fish are the shad spawn or fishing around bluegill beds. Outside of that, you've got to cover a ton of water and multiple depth ranges to get a bait in front of as many fish as possible.
    It's also very possible you're struggling because the baitfish are pulling out and suspending in open water after the morning routine. If that's the case those hungry post spawn females will 100% go with them.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Wacky rigged senko and some patients will do the trick.
    Will this one work?

Screenshot_20240509_161845_Chrome.jpg