99 200 EFI Shifting Problems

I have a 99 Mercury 200 EFI 0G803451. I have a Quicksilver 3000 Control & Hotfoot throttle. To summarize, I should start by saying I did change out the impellor recently. I performed the check per manual to make sure my linkage was correct by shifting into gear and turning flywheel to watch my prop direction. Everything checked right. I have taken it to the lake 3-4 times with no issues. I fishing a 3 day tournament last week and on the second day, I had a problem of getting out of forward. I messed with it some. I finally got it shifted into reverse but motor was still stuck in forward. After a few try I got everything into neutral. It didn't give me any more issues the next 2 days but I did notice it was harder to push the control into forward gear. I assume it was my cable. Today, I pulled the shift cable off the linkage and it moved very freely. I did notice, I could manual shift into reverse and the prop would engage, put it back into neutral and the prop spin freely, but I couldn't manual shift it into forward enough to make prop engage. Can someone give me an ideal on a starting point to check. I'm thinking I need to drop the lower unit and check my shift shaft but it seems to work fine in neutral & reverse. I also notice that the shift cable retainer was not in the locked position when I took the cowling off. Thanks for any help or advice

2. Member
    I don't know if anyone can tell anything from the postion of my linkage & shift cable
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    last gear oil change preformed ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    last gear oil change preformed ????
    When I changed out my impellor last month (now it might be worth mentioning there were a few metal shavings in it , but nothing like I found tonight)
    Last edited by careybirdwell; 05-13-2024 at 12:21 AM.

5. Member
    Well, i definitely have lower unit issue. I drained the oil to find a lot of metal shavings on the magnet. Once I had the lower unit dropped. I could turn the shift shaft but never get it to engage into forward. I could get the prop to engage in reverse and apin freely in neutral, but nothing in forward. Is this something I might have done when I changed the impeller? I have read some post to say not put your boat into gear without the motor running or spinning the prop. Is that for all outboards or only certain models

I guess my question is, am I looking at a full blown rebuild or do they go in and repair what is needed. What kind of cost am I looking at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    thats why i asked about gear oil ,,, if you didnt force alignment and it installed easily i dout you caused it , every thing in that gearcase must be replaced debri from failure will destroy surfaces of all parts , suggest you replace it with reman
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Thanks Joe