Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry my grandmother was scammed for $9,000 yesterday

Well today while I am eating lunch my 89 yr old grandmother “Mema” called and left me an odd voice mail that went something like this

“Michael, can you call me I am worried about you” which really made me wonder what was going on (little back story, tomorrow is the “Blake” family Christmas and my mom and stepdad are traveling along with all of my aunts and their families to Jackson, MS (where Mema lives) so I wasn’t sure if something had happened to them or really what was going)

So I call her back and she answers and below is the first part of the conversation
    Mema: Hello
    Me: Hey Mema it’s Mike sorry I missed you I was finishing up lunch
    Mema: Are you Ok
    Me: I am a little bored but I am fine why
    Mema: Did you get home from your trip
    Me: Oh Mema, we didn’t go home this year, that’s why we didn’t stop by your house (normally stop each way driving back and forth to Florida as part of our 2700 mile, 4 house, road trip from hell that kills 2 weeks each year) so we are still in Texas
    Mema: No what about your California trip, are you back yet, were you able to get home? ( I am starting to think she might be getting me and my sister confused (sister is in the Coast Guard and stationed in Cali )
    Me: California,I never went to California why would you think I did?
    Mema: (sounding concerned and confused) I got a call from this man yesterday morning saying you were in trouble and (I interrupt)
    Me: please tell me you didn’t send money
    Mema (realizing the truth): I sent $9,000 yesterday morning, I got a call from a guy who said he was you “Its me Mike” and that I need to talk to your attorney who then got on the phone and started with a story about how I had been arrested 24hrs before when a Taxi I was in was pulled over and the police found drugs in it and arrested both the driver and Mike. Mike hasn’t been able to get a hold of anyone else for help so he suggested you as he knew you could help him. Here is what I need you to do……….

This scum bag said his name was “Carter” which was my grandmothers husband of 61 years name. He gave her multiple phone numbers that when called were answered “San Diego Police Department” by a different person. He explained that in order to get me out immediately she needed to go and get these “cash card” things at a drugstore and she could give him the codes off the back of the cards and that would work immediately or she could transfer the money but it would take an extra business day to clear so that means I would spend all weekend in jail.
    He went on with some complex and detail instructions so she believed she was doing what she could to help me the fastest way possible. So she drove up to her bank and got $9,000 in cash and this is where it gets crazy that no one else realized it was a scam, she got her neighbor and friend, who is an active RE agent and her adult daughter who is a registered nurse to go with her because you can only buy so many of these $500 cards per day per person/ ID. They actually had a couple of random people at the store by them with their ID’s to help her help me.

One of my aunt and uncles are there now helping her file a police report (obviously a lost cause )............it breaks my heart knowing that she would do anything to help me without question and IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF THAT SCUMBAGS PREY ON THE ELDERLY

2. Banned
    Same thing happened to my grandparents, except I was supposedly out of the country somewhere in Europe and got arrested etc etc etc... Never been in Europe and grandparents never called anybody to verify. Investigation didn't go anywhere.

Those type of people need to be found and eliminated from the gene pool.

2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

4. Member
    Yep, I heard about a scam like that. They were warning us around here on the radio stations.

5. Member
    Fn scum of the earth. I got a call a couple years back saying one of my daughters was in the hospital out of state and needed money. Took the phone number to a state police detective I knew.

I can't think of anything that pisses me off as much as these people scamming the elderly. Who raised these people? The same crap happened to my grandfather with dementia. Jamaican lottery scam... Lost 30k on that one.

7. Member
    Scumbags

Sorry to hear that, I hope they catch the scumbag. Also there should be some really severe penalty for someone caught scamming people.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    THat is terrible. But it goes to show that what you or I think is an obvious scam, is sometimes not as obvious to a loving family member. And the scum know this and take advantage of it. When ever I hear about a new scam, I always tell my mother, who could easily fall for this sort of thing. I hope your grandmother doesn't get too upset. Many fall for this one.

They need to burn scum taking advantage like that pizzes me off.

Have you had her contact the FBI? It's a crime committed in interstate commerce which would be in their ballpark. These usually don't turn out well, but if you don't try you lose 100% of the time.

Making good people helpless has never made bad people harmless.

12. Banned
    I have nothing nice to say, I'll just leave my thoughts to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Have you had her contact the FBI? It's a crime committed in interstate commerce which would be in their ballpark. These usually don't turn out well, but if you don't try you lose 100% of the time.
    when I hear from my mom and my aunt that is there, I will update who was contacted but I don't think anyone expects anything to "really be done".

14. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post

+1

Scumbags!! Special place in hell for those bastards. I had some scumbag calling my Grandma trying to do something similar. The scumbag told my Grandma I had won a bunch a money and they needed $2000 money wire so they could send the check. Luckily my Grandma didn't fall for it.

Very sorry to hear this. I hope they get caught.
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

17. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ol man river View Post
    +1
    +2
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

^^^^ AGREED! Thats crazy, im sorry to hear that.

19. Member
    Was just on local news they got a old lady near me for 14K , scum bags

I think everyone that sees this thread should just take a few minutes to contact loved ones that might be susceptible to these type of scams and remind them to never send money out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast